Monday, April 28, 2014

Blog 20: Exit Interview

Content:
(1) My essential question is "What is the most efficient fire protection installation for a warehouse?". The first answer I generated was, The gridded system is the most efficient sprinkler system for a warehouse. My second answer is, the most efficient sprinkler head is one that is adapted correctly for the installation. The third answer is, the type of pipe used in the environment of the installation contributes to the maximum efficiency the system can produce. My best answer is my first answer the gridded system is the most efficient sprinkler system for a warehouse,  According to my mentor Rigoberto Vazquez Sr. owner of Advanco Fire Protection the gridded system is the most important aspect of the entire system, because this is the largest factor of distributing water in building's internal area. The layout of the gridded system branches out from a double entry water source covering all of the building with branches, example explained through NFPA-13 Installation of Sprinkler Systems. My second answer regarding sprinkler heads is not my best answer, because it is dependent on the system(1st answer). If there is a incorrectly installed system, the correct sprinkler heads will not increase efficiency significantly. The third answer regarding the correct type of pipe used in an environment, is important because it is the skeleton of the installation. The draw back from this answer is that, if there is a thicker pipe installed into a gridded system (answer 1), the gridded system will still be significant more water efficient than the loop and tree systems despite a respective change in pipe size.
(2) Researching different aspects such as articles and a great book my mentor gave me NFPA-13 Installation of Sprinkler Systems. Researching from different aspects helped me getting a strong basis, in which I could branch out towards better answers and understand why that answer is more than adequate. NFPA-13 Installation of Sprinkler Systems starts off talking about terminology which was excellent due to how much it is used in mentorship, and the book then moves onto system concepts and explains several aspects of regulations used in the industry. 
My mentor, Rigoberto Vazquez Sr. helped me see the benefits of efficiency in sprinkler systems and learning huge extents of information at mentorship. Rigoberto Vazquez Sr. told my many situations dealing with real system installation scenarios that his company has encountered and continues to encounter. During mentorship I started looking at systems blueprints in the offices of my mentor as well as his employed engineers and architects. It was then that my mentor and his employed engineers and architects broke down several systems they use in real builds, and referred me to the NFPA-13 Installation of Sprinkler Systems for research checks to get a better understanding. As mentorship continued I was able to walk around Advanco's warehouse and learned about the process of an installation starting from the bidding, design, fabrication, and installation. In Advanco there is a sprinkler room, which is where my mentor holds all the extra sprinklers or ones ready for an installation and I was fortunate enough to get a lesson on sprinkler head types and their importance in the sprinkler room. I was able to connect my mentors words to actual sprinkler heads which really helped my understand. During mentorship I began to go on maintenance calls with my two of my mentor's employees Jesus Vazquez and Art Vazquez. I had a great experience going to warehouses from Carson all the way to the one of the largest warehouses in the Unites States the Skechers warehouse in Moreno Valley. The Skechers warehouse takes up two days to do a standard check up, there are over 30 risers in building. Going into the field and connecting knowledge I acquired from research checks and from my mentor to real situations was the best learning experience I have taken part of.
(3) Issues that I ran into were finding good research material, it was very difficult to find legit research information to help me get a deeper understanding of my answers. My mentor really helped me with finding quality research because he was kind enough to recommend cites he uses to stay up to date in the industry. Another issue I dealt with time management. I had to balance church, young scholars, soccer, and service learning. I effectively used my time by going to volunteer at church every other week instead of every week, I took a quarter from college courses to get extra hours done from my independent component, I talked to my soccer coach and reached consensus of going to two practices a week instead of everyday, lastly when I went to mentorship I stayed for the most time possible.
(4) source number one: NFPA-13 Installation of Sprinkler Systems, which helped me create a strong basis and has great information with diagrams of sprinkler heads and systems. Second source is Advanco Fire Protection, mentorship for all the substantial knowledge I was taught from hand on experience and office work that helped me with systems and pipe materials from my mentors reserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment